A Huge Employer in an Impoverished Nation
Next to agriculture, the textile industry is the largest employment sector in all of India. The textile industry directly employs over 35 million of India’s populace. With some 2500 textile weaving factories nationwide, textile is without question one of India’s largest exports. And Full Moon Loom imports a great deal of Indian textiles for use in their varied products. Plus, right now, for a limited time only, Full Moon Loom is offering free shipping an all Internet purchases.
Varied Production Ensures Complete Coverage
India is the second largest producer of fiber on the planet! Approximately 60% of the Indian textile industry is based in cotton. A huge amount of recent growth in India’s textile industry can be attributed to a newfound, very strong, domestic demand that has been occurring in India since 2009. In December of 2010, domestic cotton prices were up some 50% compared to December of 2009, just one year earlier. One notable cause for this dramatic increase was the flooding in Pakistan and China. India produces textiles in several distinctly different forms. Some forms of production include:
- Man-made fibers. These include the manufacturing of clothes and filament synthetic yarns. This sector alone employs approximately 4.8 Million people.
- The cotton sector. Cotton represents the second most developed sector in the Indian textile industry but the number of people employed is somewhat erratic due to cotton being a seasonal fabric.
- The handloom sector. This sector is well developed with a market share of about 13%.
- The woolen sector. India is the seventh largest producer of wool on the planet, producing about 1.8% of the world’s total wool.
- The jute sector. India is the world’s largest producer of jute, or golden fabric as it is endeared to the Indian populace. Most of India’s jute is produced in the eastern portion of the country, in places like Assam and West Bengal.
- The sericulture and silk sector. Producing 18% of the world’s total silk makes India the largest producer of silk in the world. This is also the most labor intensive sector of India’s textile industry.
Visit Full Moon Loom today to learn more about, or to order your Indian cloth, fabric, and textiles in general. Our wide selection of styles, patterns and colors is sure to offer something that will fit your individual needs and style.